This Week in Consulting
Wednesday, January 29th 2020
Is the UK’s automotive sector the biggest loser of the Brexit?
THIS WEEK’S MUST READ
“In 2020, the economy’s expansion may not be much better given all the uncertainty surrounding the government’s negotiating stance with the EU following Brexit. Few people inside Whitehall or even the cabinet know which industries will be sacrificed to achieve a quick and dirty trade deal. And while that situation persists business investment will remain low and the manufacturing sector will stumble along, possibly in recession as it is now.”
This article presents the impact of Brexit on the Automotive sector in the UK and what will be the consequences for most of the manufacturers.
This Week’s Must Read is an insight piece from The Guardian where the author explores the economics of Brexit in the UK automotive industry.
Read on to Find out More: “If the UK doesn’t act now, the car industry might vanish“ | Phillip Inman, The Guardian.
Note: It is our responsibility to protect your privacy and we guarantee that your email address will be completely confidential.
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO:
Herbert Diess speaks with Bloomberg’s Francine Lacqua and Haslinda Amin at the World Economic Forum’s annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland on “Bloomberg Markets: European Open.”
- Brexit: ‘No alignment’ with EU on regulation, Javid tells business– “Speaking to the Financial Times, Sajid Javid admitted not all businesses would benefit from Brexit. The automotive, food and drink and pharmaceutical industries all warned the government last year that moving away from key EU rules would be damaging.” Sajid Javid, Great Britain Chancellor, explains how Brexit would impact businesses. | BBC
- Production is becoming smart. Industry 4.0 and the networked factory: “Digitalization, robotics, artificial intelligence – even recently this all sounded more like science fiction than a Swabian production hall. Today, these developments are changing industrial production fundamentally.” The digital transformation is changing the automotive landscape. What is the impact of the fourth industrial revolution on this transformation ? | Daimler
- Steering into Industry 4.0 in the automotive sector: “Over the past 50 years, the automotive sector has invested billions of dollars in enterprise systems, automation solutions, and advanced product technologies. Nonetheless, in some aspects, automotive companies remain a slow follower to data and technology companies that are defining the competitive landscape of the Fourth Industrial Revolution—Industry 4.0.” An interesting overview of how automotive companies have to align with the Industry 4.0 paradigm and take advantage of turbulent times in the automotive sector . | Debanjan Dutt, Vijay Natarajan, Alexander Wilson and Ryan Robinson, Deloitte
- Brexit could cut UK car production in half: “Global car sales are falling this year. But the slump in UK production is much more severe and that’s because of nearly three and a half years of uncertainty over Brexit, and the continued risk that leaving the European Union will make it much harder to trade with a market that takes 57% of the country’s car exports.” How Brexit could limit annual automotive output to just half of what the industry was planning to make in 2020?| Charles Riley, CNN Business.
On the same theme,here is a selection of conferences that you might find useful
Nada Show : This NADA Show networking and education event will spark the entry of women executives and professionals in the auto industry.
Materials in Car Body Engineering 2020: New developments and generations provide better forming properties, higher strength and, ideally, significant weight savings.
CONSULTING INDUSTRY NEWS
- Developing electric motors less dependable on rare earth magnets: “Materials such as Neodymium Iron Boron (NdFeB) made great performance benefits possible, facilitating the creation of small yet powerful traction motors. However, by 2012 these materials had begun to increase in price, and the industry in turn looked for alternatives, with more availability and sustainability.” | Cristian Tangemann, Automotive IQ
- Gemini Becomes First-Ever Crypto Exchange to Pass Deloitte Second Level Security Exam: “In a bid to establish its authority as one of the biggest players in the crypto space, leading cryptocurrency exchange and Bitcoin (BTC) trading venue, Gemini, the Winklevoss twins-led exchange, has become the first exchange to pass the Deloitte SOC 2 Type 2 security examination.” | Osaemezu Ogwu, Coinspeaker
- Pfizer launches Centers of Excellence Network to conduct real-world research on vaccine-preventable diseases affecting adults: “Pfizer Inc. announced the launch of its Vaccines Division’s Centers of Excellence Network, a global programme of collaborations with academic institutions to conduct real-world epidemiologic research to accurately identify and measure the burden of specific vaccine-preventable diseases and potentially evaluate vaccine effectiveness affecting adults. Pfizer Vaccines has designated the University of Louisville as its first Center of Excellence with a second global center anticipated in the first half of 2020.” |Pharmabiz
- Top car-makers face €14 billion fine for emissions failures: “As Europe looks to cut down on its emissions footprint to offset the worst effects of climate change, 13 of the continent’s leading automotive manufacturers face a combined fine of €14.5 billion. According to new estimates from PA Consulting, Volkswagen will face the heaviest individual fine, being hit with a €4.5 billion bill after a surge in uptake for its petrol-powered vehicles.” | Consultancy.uk
The Consulting Quest Global Directory is the largest professionally-managed directory in the consulting industry. Searchable by consultancy , name or by region, capability or industry it lists and describes more than 6000 consultancies worldwide with links to their websites and social media channels.
Interested in submitting?
If you are interested in submitting an article, an event or an ad, contact us!
CONSULTING SOURCING TIPS
Airbnb and the Louvre are teaming up for a special campaign that offers an unforgettable night with exclusive visits at ...
"The system, to a large extend, causes its own behavior." - Donella H. Meadows Markets and conditions constantly change, but ...
"Truth is ever to be found in simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." - Isaac Newton ...
Consulting Quest is a global, performance-driven consulting platform founded in 2014 by former members of top 10 consulting firms with the objective of reinventing consultancy performance. With a worldwide presence and a range of proprietary performance measurement tools, we help companies navigate the consulting maze. We work with Consulting Clients to increase their performance through consulting and Consulting Providers to help them acquire new clients and to improve their performance.