This Week in Consulting
Friday, August 17th, 2018
The Future of Risk Management in the Digital Era
THIS WEEK’S MUST READ
“…the annual steady-state value from digitizing risk management (including revenue effects) will be approximately the same as the total investment over the first three years. This equates to a return on investment of about 450 percent for a first-mover bank with a well-executed program.”
Digital is the new normal. It has already transformed industries such as media, transportation, and retail and is now sweeping through financial institutions. But when it comes to a financial institution’s risk function, unique challenges and opportunities accompany digitization.
This Week’s Must Read features a report from McKinsey, in which the consultants explore various critical questions on the future of risk management and share insights to help organizations navigate a digital transformation of the risk function—now and in the long term. The report also discusses the challenges in digitizing risk management, the potential benefits, and a path forward.
Read on to Find out More: “The Future of Risk Management in the Digital Era”, featuring SHolger Harreis, Luca Pancaldi, Kayvaun Rowshankish, Hamid Samandari from McKinsey.
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO:
Risk cannot wait. McKinsey partner Holger Harreis discusses the challenges in digitizing risk management, the potential benefits, and a path forward.
INDUSTRY NEWS & INSIGHTS
- Mercer to Scoop Up Two Consulting Firms: Mercer, based in New York, is set to take over Pavilion Financial’s investment consulting, alternatives consulting, and wealth management businesses, as well Summit Strategies Group in its entirety. The deals are each expected to close during the fourth quarter of 2018. | Market Watch
- Bain & Company Grows UK revenues by 7% to £149 Million: Global strategy consultancy Bain & Company has recorded revenue growth of around 7% in the year leading up to December 2017. The firm boosted revenues by roughly £10 million in the UK, and will now look to kick on with a series of expansions in 2018. | Consultancy uk
- Can AI Give Better Advice Than Management Consultants?: Management consulting was born from the combination of systematic knowledge sourcing and analytics. In the age of cheap analytics and accessible information, the management consultant role will not disappear but rather shift to meet changing client needs. | Sascha Eder, Forbes
Congratulations to the Consulting Quest Team!
It is with great honor to announce that Consulting Quest has been chosen as a finalist for the Best Procurement Consultancy Project Award for the World Procurement Awards 2018! Do not forget to check out our nominated case study.
- Why Smart Technologies Have Increased Your Digital Risk: Smart devices are pieces of information technology (IT) and are designed as such. However, they are increasingly being connected to, and controlling, operational technology (OT). And OT was not designed to be connected to the internet. What do businesses need to be aware of in this new era? | EY
- Smart Risk Management the Key to Digital Damage Limitation: The adoption of digital platforms, automation and artificial intelligence (AI) is reaping significant benefits for many organisations around the world. As risk practitioners, we must work with our businesses to help them to both maximise these benefits and manage the inherent cyber risk. | Gareth Byatt, Risk Insights Consulting
- 3 Steps to Help Mitigate Digital Risk: Mitigating this risk is a difficult task, and the stakes are high. Cyber attacks happen across all industries, to companies of all sizes. So every organization needs to create and implement an effective risk strategy. CFOs can apply a basic, three-step approach to digital risk mitigation. | Jeremy Sucharski, Armanino
- Managing the Digital Risks of New Business Models: To address the most significant digital risk—created by business model disruption by competitors—it is critical to examine whether the core strategy itself remains sufficient in the face of new technologies and as nontraditional competitors enter the marketplace. | William Ribaudo, Deloitte Risk and Financial Advisory
Consulting Quest will be hosting a free Webniar for industry leaders in the coming months exploring best practices in Consulting Procurement. If you are interested in participating, please fill out this survey.
Check Out Other Upcoming Events and Workshops & Become a Part of the Consulting Quest Community!
- The Consultants Are Eating Madison Avenue’s Lunch: The consultants’ financial clout, expertise in technology, and strong relationships with senior executives all pose a risk for traditional ad shops. What do you think of this trend? Where is it going next? | Bloomberg
- What Consultants Can Learn from Perceived Value: TMany consultants are great at what they do. However, what really differentiate the top performers from the rest is their ability to create value in the client’s mind during every stage of the engagement. | Helene Laffitte, Consulting Quest
- Best Piece of Consulting Career Advice to Give to Younger Self: Question of the week: What is the best piece of consulting career advice you would give to your younger self? Can you relate to the experiences from the article? | Firm Consulting
- What is this Consulting Career Path?: Pretty much all of the hard facts you need to know about starting a career in management consulting. Check them out. | 8000 Hours
- Are you a Consultant with Supply Chain background or prior experience working in Retail/CPG? This may be the opportunity you have been long for. A Client of Consulting Quest – an Asia-based small Global Consulting Firm – is seeking to hire an Engagement Manager to join their newly established office in New York City. Learn More
Consulting Quest is a global, performance-driven consulting platform founded in 2014 by former members of top 10 consulting firms with the objective of reinventing consultancy performance. With a worldwide presence and a range of proprietary performance measurement tools, we help companies navigate the consulting maze. We work with Consulting Clients to increase their performance through consulting and Consulting Providers to help them acquire new clients and to improve their performance.