This Week in Consulting
Friday, August 3rd, 2018
Value-Focused Corporate Governance
THIS WEEK’S MUST READ
“Corporate Governance extends beyond compliance with rule and protocols. It is also about giving the company the power to overcome significant challenges and seize opportunities that build enterprise value. Truly effective governance requires a robust information infrastructure that supports transparency and timely information flow.”
Corporate governance—the system by which a company’s board of directors and management executives align themselves with shareholders’ interests in order to make strategic decisions—can be a catalyst (or constraint) to value creation. Effective corporate governance enhances both business fundamentals and investor perceptions, primarily through greater transparency and more effective decision making, and thus generates more value for shareholders.
This Week’s Must Read features an insight piece from BCG, in which the consultants discuss why following the traditionally defined best practices (i.e. focusing on board composition and information disclosure) does not ensure success. They also identified four hidden factors that can help boards fulfill the richer purpose: senior leaders’ engagement; a disciplined approach to decision making’; clear, carefully crafted mechanisms and protocols; and a robust information infrastructure.
Read on to Find out More: “Value-Focused Corporate Governance: How to Engage Boards and Enhance Decision Making”, featuring Christian Orglmeister, Marcos Aguiar, and Daniel Azevedo from McKinsey.
Note: It is our responsibility to protect your privacy and we guarantee that your email address will be completely confidential.
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO:
Alex Edmans talks about the long-term impacts of social responsibility and challenges the idea that caring for society is at the expense of profit.
INDUSTRY NEWS & INSIGHTS
- BNP Paribas Arbitrage SA Sells 2,253 Shares of Huron Consulting Group: BNP Paribas Arbitrage SA decreased its position in Huron Consulting Group (NASDAQ:HURN) by 32.7% during the first quarter, according to the company in its most recent disclosure with the Securities & Exchange Commission.Several other large investors have also recently added to or reduced their stakes in the company. | Maurice Goldstein, The Enterprise Leader
- Google Cloud and Accenture Launch New Business Group: Accenture and Google Cloud have forged an alliance to launch a new business group. The joint-venture will see the group help companies to use Google Cloud to develop intelligent solutions leveraging data-driven insights, leveraging Accenture’s industry knowledge in the process. The new group is comprised of a team of specialists from both companies and will initially focus on developing cross-industry solutions for clients in North America, Europe and Japan. | Accenture Newsroom
- Consulting Firm Warns against Pessimism at ‘evolutionary’ 5G: With the next generation of mobile network technology on the horizon, consumers and businesses could be about to see the speed at which they access data via smartphones surge upward. However, many network providers remain unconvinced of 5G technology, something which a new report has set out to alter. | Consultancy uk
Congratulations to the Consulting Quest Team!
It is with great honor to announce that Consulting Quest has been chosen as a finalist for the Best Procurement Consultancy Project Award for the World Procurement Awards 2018! Do not forget to check out our nominated case study.
- Conducting Effective Board Assessments: Board and committee assessments are a critical part of driving continuous improvement in board performance. A well-executed assessment can help provide real insights into how a board operates and how directors work with one another. It will include both quantitative and qualitative aspects. And it leads to actionable takeaways that can make a real difference. Too often though, board assessments are considered a compliance exercise that adds little value | Paula Loop, Paul DeNicola, Elizabeth Strott, PwC
- From Shareholder Engagement to Integrated Governance: Shareholder engagement is one of the most significant recent developments in the area of corporate governance. It covers the intense and regular dialogue taking place between issuers and their investors on topics related to the way a company is managed. Astute investors focus on three interrelated aspects of governance: structure, processes and policies, where are intrinsically and logically interconnected. | Jean-Florent Rerolle, Morrow Sodali
- A Time for Boards to Act: According to a new survey, directors see good operations and effective execution of key board activities linking with stronger self-reported performance, suggesting that value can flow from improving the way boards work. | Martin Hirt, Frithjof Lund, Nina Spielmann, McKinsey
- Corporate Governance Best Practices: Here are five commonly accepted best practices in corporate governance. Implementing these best practices will introduce a healthy governance culture with top-down influence. Each category can be broken down further into specific concepts. Check them out. | Jeremy Barlow, Board Effect
Consulting Quest will be hosting a free Webniar for industry leaders in the coming months exploring best practices in Consulting Procurement. If you are interested in participating, please fill out this survey.
Check Out Other Upcoming Events and Workshops & Become a Part of the Consulting Quest Community!
- Rethinking Value in Consulting: What distinguishes the top performing firms from the rest?: A firm’s consulting methodologies and tools are important but are not enough. Instead, what matters most is the perceived value created by the consultant in the client’s mind in every interaction. | Openside Group
- Firms Concerned About Growing Competition: The rise of well-organised networks of independent consultants and the growing popularity of boutique consultancies eating share in specific niches is playing a key role in consulting’s changing threats landscape. Good News for You? | Consultancy uk
- Industry Jargon: Consulting Edition: Before you start your career search, it’s always a good idea to get some of the industry lingo under your belt. It might not seem that important, but it’s actually a crucial step in adapting to a new field. | Sarah Tarrant, Talent Egg
- Consulting Career Guide: You will find something useful from this comprehensive overview of a consulting career, regardless of the stage of recruiting you are at. | Harvard School of Public Health
- Are you a Consultant with Supply Chain background or prior experience working in Retail/CPG? This may be the opportunity you have been long for. A Client of Consulting Quest – an Asia-based small Global Consulting Firm – is seeking to hire an Engagement Manager to join their newly established office in New York City. Learn More
Consulting Quest is a global, performance-driven consulting platform founded in 2014 by former members of top 10 consulting firms with the objective of reinventing consultancy performance. With a worldwide presence and a range of proprietary performance measurement tools, we help companies navigate the consulting maze. We work with Consulting Clients to increase their performance through consulting and Consulting Providers to help them acquire new clients and to improve their performance.