This Week in Consulting
Wednesday, October 9th 2019
When organization design meets technology
THIS WEEK’S MUST READ
“Braided organizations are emerging to reinforce an important metamorphosis of organizations. From vertical, command-and-control, self-centered entities, companies are becoming more open, flexible, evolving and self-adaptative structures; driven more by human behavior and motivation rather than hierarchical rules and mechanistic processes.“
From hybridization to digitization, there are 5 major shifts necessary for the metamorphosis of organizations for building a braided organization and reaping the benefits with which it is associated.
This Week’s Must Read is an insight piece from Michel Zarka in which he gives an outlook of the impact of technology on organizations.
Read on to Find out More: “Towards Bio-inspired and evolving Organizations “ | Michel Zarka, Theano Advisors.
THIS WEEK’S VIDEO:
A five minute animated overview of the two core models in organization design: Galbraith’s Star Model and Kates Kesler’s Five Milestone Design Process.
- The five trademarks of agile organizations: “A view of the world—a paradigm—will endure until it cannot explain new evidence. The paradigm must then shift to include that new information. We are now seeing a paradigm shift in the ways that organizations balance stability and dynamism.” Agile organizations consistently exhibit the five trademarks described in this article. They include a network of teams within a people-centered culture that operates in rapid learning and fast decision cycles which are enabled by technology, and a common purpose that co-creates value for all stakeholders. The article presents McKinsey’s approach to organization design and agility. | Wouter Aghina, Karin Ahlback, Aaron De Smet, Gerald Lackey, Michael Lurie, Monica Murarka, and Christopher Handscomb, McKinsey
- Holacracy and Self-Organization “Zappos is still using Holacracy and we currently have no plans to change that. However, Holacracy is built to focus on the work, rather than the people, while Zappos is *all* about the people. So, we’ve evolved how we use Holacracy to find ways to layer our culture, core values, and focus of people into the system in a way that works best for us.” This article presents a completely different approach to organization: self-organization Zappos | Zappos Insights
- A Distributed Future: Where Blockchain Technology Meets Organization Design and Decision-making– “Blockchain technology records and forever maintains data that cannot be changed. It also involves ‘smart contracts’ and consensus mechanisms that govern processes of automation, as well as the development, evaluation and execution of decisions.” The article presents the author’s take on how blockchain will change organization design and decision-making | Dr Mark van Rijmenam, Datafloq
- Matrix Organisation: “The organisational structure is extremely important for the success of any business. In this blog post, I will explore how an organisational structure built in the style of a matrix organisation can harm your company.” Here the author explains how an organizational structure built in a matrix organization can harm a company. The article is an interesting counterpoint to the matrix organization wins-it-all theory. | Luís Gonçalves, evolution4all
On the same theme,here is a selection of conferences that you might find useful
Agility & Resilience : The 2019 conference invites practitioners, academicians, and students to explore how the intersection of organizational agility and agile teams can build resilience in the face of increasing complexity.
International Conference on Organizational Learning : A growing, international, diverse and dynamic community every year welcomes leading scholars, young researchers, and scholar-practitioners to present and discuss their research and practice.
CONSULTING INDUSTRY NEWS
- Apple just bought IKinema, a visual effects and 3D animation startup: With billions of dollars in war chest, Apple confirmed on Friday that it had bought IKinema, a U.K.-based 3D animation company. The financial term of the deal was not disclosed. | TechStartups Team
- Deloitte opens its first Digital Center in the Middle East: The Digital Center enables private and public sector clients to work side-by-side with Deloitte’s experts to unlock the potential of disruptive technologies and deliver cutting-edge products and services across the Middle East. | Deloitte
- Korn Ferry Is Acquiring Miller Heiman Group, AchieveForum, and Strategy Execution: Korn Ferry announced it entered into a definitive agreement to acquire three companies from TwentyEighty in the leadership development area, including Miller Heiman Group, AchieveForum, and Strategy Execution. |Pulse 2.0
- McKinsey & Co opens retail laboratory: Consulting firm McKinsey has opened an experimental store in the Mall of America, where retailers can test and analyse all kinds of technologies intended to transform the shopping experience. | Retail Detail
The Consulting Quest Global Directory is the largest professionally-managed directory in the consulting industry. Searchable by consultancy , name or by region, capability or industry it lists and describes more than 6000 consultancies worldwide with links to their websites and social media channels.
Interested in submitting?
If you are interested in submitting an article, an event or an ad, contact us!
CONSULTING SOURCING TIPS
Consulting Quest is a global, performance-driven consulting platform founded in 2014 by former members of top 10 consulting firms with the objective of reinventing consultancy performance. With a worldwide presence and a range of proprietary performance measurement tools, we help companies navigate the consulting maze. We work with Consulting Clients to increase their performance through consulting and Consulting Providers to help them acquire new clients and to improve their performance.